Monday, October 6, 2014

Cover Concepts: October 5 - 11

Happy Monday! Welcome to the feature Cover Concepts on my blog. Every Monday I am going to create a post with all of the young adult book covers that are releasing within the week. I will then tell you all what I think about the covers; If I love them, or if I think that they could be better. At the end of the post, I will give you all a chance to vote on your favorite cover of the week. As I pick a lot of my reads based on their covers, this seemed like the perfect feature for me to begin on the blog. Feel free to leave comments with your opinions of the covers as well, and we can discuss them! :] 

October 5 - 11: This week there are TWENTY-NINE! 29! YA book releases on the list that I use. 29! That just seems completely crazy to me. Needless to say, I will not be posting about all 29 because it would take forever, and I would probably lose my mind. Instead, I'm going to try to keep it a bit lower so that I can bring the poll back this week. I will focus on the books that I have heard a lot about and go from there. Happy October! (BY THE WAY: I have created a new Facebook page for the blog. I would love you all even more if you would go by and "LIKE" the page: https://www.facebook.com/beneaththejacketreviews

1. The Paris Mysteries by James Patterson - October 6
Confessions #3
Thoughts: Well, to start, it definitely matches the other two books in the series, so that is a plus. I'm not sure what the front thing is supposed to be, though. I mean, what is she hiding behind? I guess it's clever to have the Eiffel Tower in the glasses since it takes place in Paris. Her finger nails creep me out quite a bit, though. They just don't look right...

2. Emergent by Rachel Cohn - October 7
Annex #2
Thoughts: Once again, this cover matches the first one in the series, so I guess that's good. I think that the whole thing is fairly awkward, though. The couple in the front is annoying, and their bodies look a bit strange to me. Then you have the person watching them from the hill, so that's creepy. The colors seem odd and ill fitting as well. I'm not a fan.

3. The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan - October 7
The Heroes of Olympus #5
Thoughts: This is very much a Rick Riordan cover. Interesting illustrations that go with the story, not much else to say about it really.

4. The Perfectionists by Sara Shepard - October 7
Thoughts: I think that I would probably know that this was a Sara Shepard book even if her name was not on it, it looks like the covers of all of her other books. The title looks like the exact same font, and it's pretty simple thought it does look nice. I think it's okay, it's just incredibly simple.

5. Exquisite Captive by Heather Demetrios - October 7
Dark Caravan Cycle #1
Thoughts: I am usually not a fan of cover models, but I actually don't mind this one too much. It might be because she is turned to the side, or because her eyes are closed. Perhaps it is both, I can't really be too sure. Usually it is the eyes that bother me on covers, though. I think that this is elegant and beautiful, and I am a fan of it.

6. Kiss Kill Vanish by Jessica Martinez - October 7
Thoughts: I have LOVED this cover since I first saw it. At first, I was not able to see that it was a girl in the background, but I love her posture and how it adds some information from the story. I think that the title font is great, and the splatter of colors is definitely amazing. I am a huge fan of this cover.

7. The Fall by Bethany Griffin - October 7
Thoughts: This reminds me of an old movie that is without color. Of course, it would be a scary movie, as I am assuming this is a scary book, which pretty much means that I will probably never read it because I cannot do scary things. However, it does have an eerie look to it, so it was definitely successful there. I actually like the tagline, too.

8. Stray by Elissa Sussman - October 7
Four Sisters #1
Thoughts: I think that this is an amazing cover. The illustration is beautiful, and I love the pop of the bright blue in her outfit when the rest of the cover is without color. I do wish the title was a little bit bigger as I have already overlooked it a couple of times while looking at it. I do think some other people might have a problem with this when browsing the bookstores.

9. This is How it Ends by Jen Nadol - October 7
Thoughts: The picture in the background is a little awkward, especially once you compare it to the title...This is how it ends? You end your relationship by cuddling? That seems a bit strange, but to each their own. I hate the title font as well. The color is fine, but the font itself is just really strange...

10. Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick - October 7
Thoughts: A male model on a cover? That's not something that you see very often, at least now without a girl beside him! I think that the cover is interesting, the colors work well and go with the title. It does leave me wondering what happens in the book. The tagline is super cheesy though, so I could really do without that.

11. Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander - October 7
Thoughts: I feel like this background picture has been used on a pretty big number of books, so I do wish that the picture was something a bit different. I guess it's okay since it's difficult to see it in the background, anyway. I do think that the way the title was handled is super cute, though. The red definitely pops, too.

12. Unraveled by Gennifer Albin - October 7
Crewel World #3
Thoughts: It matches the other two...but perhaps a little too much. I mean, I don't know if they all three need to be stuck in an hour glass. Pretty much all they did was change the cover and the bottom image. I think it's weird how her body is cut off, too. I think these covers could be a lot better.

13. Lailah by Nikki Kelly - October 7
The Styclar Saga #1
Thoughts: I think that this picture is pretty awesome. I am not a fan of zombie books, but I do love all of the zombie hands reaching out to get her. She always makes me think of the girl in Warm Bodies, and I liked that movie. I think the title looks interesting, too. I can live with this one.

14. The Young Elites by Marie Lu - October 7
The Young Elites #1
Thoughts: I LOVE Marie Lu, and I do love how simple her covers always seem to be. While this could have been very boring, I do think small things were added to make it more appealing. I like the lighting within the clouds, and the sword that makes up the "t" in "Elites". I think it looks very nice.

15. Of Scars and Stardust by Andrea Hannah - October 8
Thoughts: This is beautiful. I love all of the trees and the lighting that goes so well with them. I think that the models are even okay here, too. I think that they are siblings, so it's an incredibly sweet picture. I think it's very nicely done for a contemporary.


Poll: There we have it, those are the majority of the young adult books releasing this week. Which cover is your favorite of the week? Make sure to vote below!
Which Cover is your Favorite This Week?















pollcode.com free polls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs