Monday, September 29, 2014

Cover Concepts: September 28 - October 4

Happy Monday! Welcome to the feature Cover Concepts on my blog. Every Monday I am going to create a post with all of the young adult book covers that are releasing within the week. I will then tell you all what I think about the covers; If I love them, or if I think that they could be better. At the end of the post, I will give you all a chance to vote on your favorite cover of the week. As I pick a lot of my reads based on their covers, this seemed like the perfect feature for me to begin on the blog. Feel free to leave comments with your opinions of the covers as well, and we can discuss them! :] 

Oh my goodness, September has been CRAZY for YA releases. I have talked about tons of the covers here, but it seems like I have even missed some just by what I have seen on Facebook and Instagram over the month. This week is no different, there are still a ton of books! Once again, I won't be doing a poll because of this, but I will be adding these back in starting next week, so be on the lookout for that! 

1. The Only Thing to Fear by Caroline Tung Richmond - September 30
Thoughts: Let me begin by saying, I had not heard of this book before, but the synopsis sounds absolutely awesome after reading it on Goodreads. You should all go check it out. I am not impressed with the cover, though. Based on the synopsis, this cover does not even make much sense to me as I feel things would be sooo much different. I see what they're getting at with it, but I just expected something different for this one.

2. Famous Last Words by Katie Alender - September 30
Thoughts: Well, that's pretty creepy...I don't really get why the bed is floating on water, though, that's definitely weird. I do like how it looks a lot like a movie poster, as it is about Hollywood. I am sure that was intentional, and I do think that it is clever. I like the font, and I even find the tagline to be kind of amusing. I would say this is pretty good, even if it freaks me out a bit...

3. Love Is the Drug by Alaya Dawn Johnson - September 30
Thoughts: Well, I am not incredibly impressed by this cover. I mean, the cover is nice, and I do like the font...but that's about it. It just seems far too simple and boring, and it does not tell me anything about the actual book. Sure, sometimes taglines are awful, but it would be nice to have ANYTHING here to clue the reader into what the book is about.

4. Dead Zone by Robison Wells - September 30
Blackout #2
Thoughts: Two good things; 1. the cover matches that of the first book in the series. 2. It's noted that this is the sequel to Blackout. I hate going to the bookstore and wanting to read a series, but being unable to tell which book comes first. They have fixed that problem here. While this cover is a bit simple, I do think that the colors work well, and I do like how it's coming apart instead of being all one color. It has some interest to it, at least.

5. Winterspell by Claire Legrand - September 30
Winterspell #1
Thoughts: I have seen this over EVERYWHERE. Everyone has been talking about it since the cover was revealed, and I can definitely tell why. Usually I do not like cover models (as I am sure all of you know by now), but I do feel like this one was done well. Sure, it's still not my favorite cover ever, but I think that it's very well done. The colors are beautiful, so I can accept the model this time.

6. Complete Nothing by Kieran Scott - September 30
True Love #2
Thoughts: I am completely confused by this cover, honestly. In fact, I am confused by the covers of the whole series (apparently book three's cover has already been revealed, too). I think that the background could be amazing, if they did not throw the people on it like that. It's clear that they don't fit in with it, and they look so awkward and random. I'm not a fan at all.

7. Unmarked by Kami Garcia - September 30 
The Legion #2
Thoughts: I am not sure how I feel about this cover, actually. Again, I do like that it gives the name of the overall series and what number the book is in that series. I do like the "U" and how it follows along with the first book. I am not a fan of the face, though. It just looks so strange with the letter so big over it, especially since you can only see one eye. I have seen worse covers, but I don't love it, either.

8. Party Games by R.L. Stine - September 30
Fear Street Series
Thoughts: I am SO excited to see another R.L. Stine book. While I do not always do well with scary, I do love the way that he writes. I think that this cover is awesome. It does look pretty creepy, especially with the person standing in the doorway. I especially like that you can't see said person's face. This cover makes me want to read the book, and that's what it's all about.

9. Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer - September 30
Thoughts: This is another cover that I have seen all over the place. At first I did not understand the randomness of it, but that is because I had never actually read the synopsis. The character is at boarding school, and it looks like she has set some of her things out to pack, or perhaps unpack in her new dorm room. When looking at it that way it makes sense, and it has me intrigued since it's not a typical "boarding school" cover.

10. Schizo by Nic Sheff - September 30
Thoughts: I am SO impressed by this cover. It is one of the best I have seen in a long time, if I am being honest. Yes, I know that I usually don't like the cover model thing, but this is done so incredibly well that I am perfectly okay with it. This cover alone makes me want to pick up the book and read it ASAP.

11. Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley - September 30
Thoughts: I have been a fan of this cover since I first saw it released. I guess a lot of it has to do with me really liking the synopsis as well, but oh well. I have this from Netgalley to read and review, but I do know that I will be buying a physical copy as well because this cover is so well done. I mean, it looks like a yearbook, which is perfect for the book.

12. Girl on a Wire by Gwenda Bond - October 1
Thoughts: I LOVE illustrated covers, as you all probably know by now, so I am a huge fan of this cover. I think that the hands are a little creepy, and I assume that they are probably supposed to be that way. They're either there to catch the girl when she falls, or they seem like they might be controlling her. It could go either way, and I'm good with either, I just need this cover in my hands!

Poll: There we have it, those are the majority of the young adult books releasing this week. Which cover is your favorite of the week? Seeing as there are SO many books this week, I'm not going to create the poll as usual. Instead, simply leave a comment telling me your favorite cover this week and we can discuss them! :] 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs