Monday, August 4, 2014

Cover Concepts: August 3 - 9

Happy Monday! Welcome to the feature Cover Concepts on my blog. Every Monday I am going to create a post with all of the young adult book covers that are releasing within the week. I will then tell you all what I think about the covers; If I love them, or if I think that they could be better. At the end of the post, I will give you all a chance to vote on your favorite cover of the week. As I pick a lot of my reads based on their covers, this seemed like the perfect feature for me to begin on the blog. Feel free to leave comments with your opinions of the covers as well, and we can discuss them! :] 

1. Just Call My Name by Holly Goldberg Sloan - August 5
I'll Be There #2
Thoughts: The first thing I do with this post is look every single book up on Goodreads. I like to see if they are part of a series, and if they are then I compare them to the covers of the other books in the series. I looked at the first book in this series, and I do not understand how the two go together at all. I believe this might be a redesign? I really cannot figure it out. That takes something away from the cover for me. Otherwise, I actually think it's quite nice. Nothing special, but not awful, either.

2. Deadly Little Sins by Kara Taylor - August 5
Prep School Confidential #3
Thoughts: First off, I do appreciate that these covers go together. All three in the series make sense together, so they could look good together on a bookshelf. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of these types of covers. Sure, we understand that they go to a prep school, but do we need to have all of the uniforms and stuff on the covers every time? I just don't like it.

3. Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout - August 5
Lux #5
Thoughts: I know that this is a redesign for this series, as I have the first book in these bind ups (thanks again, Sarah!). I do love how shiny they are, but it doesn't tell me much about the story itself. I do like the colors, though. Overall, I don't think that they're too bad.

4. Greta and the Glass Kingdom by Chloe Jacobs - August 5
Mylena Chronicles #2
Thoughts: All I can say is, thank goodness this cover is not final. I hope that this does not become the final cover either because I think it's pretty awful. Yes, I get that "Glass Kingdom" is in the title, but I don't think that means you need to have breaking glass on the cover. Also, the girl scares me a bit. This also does not match the first book in the series. It's bad all around, really.

5. Servants of the Storm by Delilah S. Dawson - August 5th 
Thoughts: I want this book on my bookshelf. I think that it's really, really well done. I love the colors in the background; the dark colors int he sky and the brown of the ground. I also love the illustrations of the girl, and how she is leaning. Even the font is cool, with some of the letters being much taller than the others. This one definitely works for me.

6. Magnolia by Kristi Cook - August 5th
Thoughts: I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with this cover. I love that it's a typical contemporary cover, so you have some sort of idea what you're going to get in the story. However, I'm kind of tired of seeing the couples on the books; at least to where you can see their faces so clearly. Also, I hate the little flower under the title. I think it's unnecessary.

7. Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine - August 5th
Thoughts: I am a huge fan of this cover because it shows diversity, which is something that so many of us are looking for in our YA books (I especially love this since I teach middle school and they're always looking for characters that look like themselves). I like everything about this cover, except for that long excerpt at the top. I understand that they want authors to endorse books, but I don't like it right on the cover like that.

8. The Islands at the End of the World by Austin Aslan - August 5th
Thoughts: I am certainly intrigued by the idea of this cover. When I look closely though, there seems to be quite a bit going on. I do really like all of the colors together though, which is always a very good thing. I think that the title font was well chosen as well. I would like to see that excerpt at the top switched out for a tagline that gives a little more info about the book, though.

9. I Love I Hate I Miss My Sister by Amelie Sarn - August 5
Thoughts: The title of this book is what really bothers me. When the title is written like on the cover it's fine, but written out all together it drives me crazy. I feel like there should be some commas, or some of the words crossed out or something. The cover itself is okay. I like the design around the top edges, though I don't think that the blending of the images is just right.

10. Two Girls Staring at the Ceiling by Lucy Frank - August 5th
Thoughts: I honestly don't know how I feel about this cover. I do like that you can't see her face, as it leaves some things open to the imagination as you read. I like how simple it is, and how it gives some information away with the girl being in a hospital gown. I do think that the idea of the title looking tattooed on is a good one, but I'm not sure that it worked out very well here. I just think the words could have looked a bit better.

11. Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre - August 5th
Thoughts: I am a fan of Ann Aguirre, and I think that she has had some really good covers. While the Enclave series covers were pretty simple, I liked them a lot. I think that this cover follows that trend. While some might find it boring, I actually find it pretty interesting. It is enough to make me want to pick up the book and know what it's about, and I think that means the cover is doing its job.

12. The Girl From the Well by Rin Chupeco - August 5th
Thoughts: The first thing I think of with this book is the movie The Ring, and that is because of the well part. All I can picture is the creepy dead girl crawling out of the well and through the television....anyway, focusing on the cover. I actually like this, a lot. It's creepy, just like I'm assuming it is supposed to be. I like the font of the title, and how the red stands out. I don't typically read scary books, but this cover makes me want to give it a try.

13. Forget Me by K.A. Harrington - August 7th
Thoughts: I have noticed that a trend has picked up of the title being repeated multiple times on a cover, and I am not a fan of this new trend, at least if it's not done really well. I don't think that it works here, not with the words covering the boy like that. I do think the merry-go-round adds some interest, but other than that I don't think that this cover is working.

14. Blind by Rachel DeWoskin - August 7th
Thoughts: There isn't much on this cover, but I think that it works for what they are trying to portray about the story. It makes sense that the background is all black and that the braille is colored. I do like the font of the title, and I think that the tagline is fine, too.

15. Fragile Destiny by Suzanne Lazear - August 8th
The Aether Chronicles #3
Thoughts: I have to say, I'm not a fan here. I like the illustrated background, and I wish that they would have drawn in the girl as well instead of putting this girl onto the background that she does not match. It's an odd combination, and I can't say that I like the face that the model is making. This could have been a whole lot better.

16. Wordless by AdriAnne Strickland - August 8th
Thoughts: Umm, I'm really bored...I don't really have much more to say about it, since there is not a lot going on. I don't like the color, the font of the title, or the little light sparks that are shooting out from the center. Nope, this doesn't work for me.

** Goodreads decided to stop working properly as I was linking up all of the titles for you guys, so they're not all linked. When it decides to work later, I'll go back and finish putting up all of the links for you. 

Poll: There we have it, those are the majority of the young adult books releasing this week. Which cover is your favorite of the week? Make sure to vote below!

Which Cover is Your Favorite This Week?
  
pollcode.com free polls 

1 comment:

  1. I voted for The Islands at the End of the World. I really like the cover and it caught my attention right away. It looks really cool with a kind of fantasy/post-apocalyptic vibe that I'm getting from it. Sadly, after reading about it, I really don't think it's my kind of book. I also really like the cover for Of Metal and Wishes. I've seen that cover around before and I do think it's really nice and kind of classy.

    Even though I do agree about the model on a drawn background (I wish they'd chosen one style or the other) I do like the cover for Fragile Destiny - but that's because I love Steampunk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs